ABC Classic and ABC Jazz Composer Commissioning Fund
- Deadline date: 21 May 2021 [Delivery Deadline] — Visit our current Opportunities for upcoming competitions, workshops and more.
- Location: Australia
- Total prizes: AUD 90,000
Springing off the success of the 2020 Fresh Start Fund, in 2021 ABC Classic and ABC Jazz will commission a total of 15 new works/collections of works and record each one for broadcast and digital commercial release.
The commissioning fund of AUD $90,000 will support new and diverse Australian composers, prioritising opportunities for women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with disability, gender diverse people and other diverse voices, to create music which can be brought to the ABC Classic or ABC Jazz audiences. The Composer Commissioning Fund budget typically allows for projects of up to a maximum of AUD 6,000 to cover both commission fees and recording fees for the successful projects. Applications open 9 April and close 5pm Friday 21 May 2021.
The ABC Classic and ABC Jazz Composer Commissioning Fund offers a creative opportunity and practical support to emerging, under-represented and professional Australian musicians and composers, in conjunction with existing initiatives across the ABC Classic and ABC Jazz national music networks. The fund supports commissioning and recording of new Australian works that are suitable for extensive airplay on ABC Classic or ABC Jazz. Compositions are to be completed in time to enable recording in late 2021 through to mid-2022. Releases of music created through the fund on ABC Music will take place across 2022, with broadcast premieres on ABC Classic and ABC Jazz.
The creative brief requires the following considerations:
- The composition(s) need(s) to be original. (If a new arrangement of existing work is involved, it needs to demonstrate substantial original creativity.)
- The application budget must cover both the commission fee(s) for the composition of a new work or collection (e.g. album), and the fees for the musicians to record it. NB: ABC studio time and recording production for the project will be separately funded by the ABC.
- Details of instrumentation are at your discretion.
- The overall duration of the work or collection of works is at your discretion.
- Applicants who propose to create a single longer work, should take into account the opportunity for greater broadcast exposure that separate movements or standalone segments can provide.
- Bear in mind that the work or works created will also become a digital release. E.g. in the jazz context, it’s best to think in terms of an album format.
- Works need to be notated in appropriate form for the collaborating musicians.
- The work(s) will need to be recordable in an ABC studio across a single day.
- If the work has a text or is an arrangement, you will need to secure from the author/composer and provide to the ABC written permission for its use, including digital release.
- If you are successful, you will be working with an ABC producer who will guide the project through to completion.
Who can apply?
The primary applicant must be a composer or musician/ensemble directly involved in the project.
Each successful commission includes:
- A total fee of up to AUD 6,000 to cover the composition and recording of the new work(s).
- A studio session at the ABC, including engineer and producer, to record the work(s).
- Airplay for the completed recording on ABC Classic or ABC Jazz.
- Commercial digital release of the work via ABC Music.
- The applicant has the right to arrange their own physical release of the recordings, subject to agreement with the other project artists.
- Completed composition(s), meeting the creative brief.
- Musicians to record the work or collection of works in an ABC studio, timeline to be agreed. NB: the proposed recording date should be no later than 30 June 2022.
How do I apply?
Complete the online application form via the ABC website.
The form asks for a brief, including:
- project description
- budget outline
- list of deliverables
- delivery dates
- proposed capital city ABC recording location
Applicants are asked to directly address their project’s
The form includes upload space for key artists’ (composers’ and performers’)
- bios (via links or pdf upload)
- samples of previous work by key artists (via links or mp3 and pdf upload)
- pdf of letters of participation from the key artists (including permission from the author to use any texts if relevant)
And a request to provide information about past ABC opportunities and the diversity profiles of the key artists.
Applications close Friday May 21, 2021.
Contact: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC)