42nd Young Composer Competition, 2021 Frederic Mompou International Award Barcelona
- Deadline date: 14 Sep 2021 [Delivery Deadline]
- Date held: October 2021
- Location: Barcelona, Spain
- Total prizes: EUR 4,000, publication and performance
- Entry restriction: Open to any composer who is no older than 35 on 31 December, 2021.
- Anonymous entry: Yes
- Work duration: The recommended duration is between 10 and 18 minutes.
In memory of F. Mompou and his wife C. Bravo.
Any composer who is no older than 35 on 31 December 2021 can participate in this competition.
The works must be completely unknown. They must not have been previously performed, published or disseminated in any format.
This year, the work must be for: String Trio (violin, viola and cello)
The style and scoring methods of the work are completely unrestricted. The recommended duration is between 10 and 18 minutes.
The Frederic Mompou International Award for 2021 consists of:
- Prize money of EUR 4,000. This sum will be subject to Spanish taxation.
- Publishing and marketing of the winning score by the publishing house Editorial Boileau. The subsequent promotion will be shared with Joventuts Musicals de Barcelona.
- Premiere of the work at a concert organised by the Xarxa de Músiques a Catalunya or at other concerts organised by Joventuts Musicals.
The Frederic Mompou International Award cannot be shared or declared void.
The jury reserves the right to award two honorary mentions.
This year's winner cannot compete again until the competition of 2024.
How to submit the scores
- The scores will be presented anonymously: a pseudonym must be used.
- No slogan or pseudonym may be used that identifies the composer or the work presented.
- Incomplete scores will not be accepted. All scores presented must be legible at first sight. A score that is badly written may be refused.
How to send the scores
- A) Send the score in 1 PDF file. The name of the file must be the title of your work.
- B) Send 1 PDF file with the fully-completed entry form, passport or identity card and a brief curriculum vitae. The name of this file must be your pseudonym.
- Files A) and B) must be compressed using RAR or ZIP, in only one file, and sent via WeTransfer to email@example.com
Presentation deadline: Tuesday, 14 September 2021.
Jury and verdict
The jury will be made up of five professionals of recognised prestige in the world of contemporary music. Their identity will be disclosed when the verdict is made public.
The decision of the jury will be taken by absolute majority and the verdict will not be open to appeal.
If, once the verdict has been reached, it is found that the winning work or its author has not complied with all the rules, the composer will be stripped of the award.
The verdict will be announced before the end of October 2021.
Once the verdict has been announced, the award will be presented. In accordance with JMB’s concert programme, the award-winning work will be premiered on the Xarxa de Músiques a Catalunya concert tour, or at other concerts organised by Joventuts Musicals.
The work will be recorded and broadcast on the Catalan radio station Catalunya Música or on other media decided by the organisation.
The intellectual property rights will belong to the composer. In future recordings and programmes, the following text must appear: "Frederic Mompou International Award in the Young Composer Competition organized by Joventuts Musicals de Barcelona, 2021".
Once the award has been given, the winner will be required to present a copy of the score in the Finale or Sibelius program.
The winner must accept these points regardless of other publishing commitments.
Participation in the competition implies total acceptance of these rules.
Anything that has not been foreseen in these rules will be governed by the regulating rules of the local administration.
In the event of any doubt or error in the translation, the Catalan version of these rules will be the legal and official version.
Contact: Joventuts Musicals de Barcelona
Phone: + 34 93 215 36 57
Mailing Address: Passeig de Gràcia 108 2n. 2a. 08008 Barcelona-Espanya